Mar 6, 2006

How do you value an MBA?

This is Vasant's take on it.

When I went to do my MBA, after 2.5 years of working in hotels and sales, my focus was to learn things that the MBA program actually did not mean to teach. Later, I realised that the design of the program taught me a lot of things by experience rather than by actual content. It taught me that:

  • Working with people is THE most critical skill one can learn, but, can hardly ever be taught !
  • Deadlines are not the exceptions but the norm.
  • You cannot manage time, only yourself !
  • You can always see farther if you stand on the shoulders of giants.
  • There are always some questions that would never have some answers.
  • Sometimes, a "I don't know" or keeping silent is a wiser course of action.
  • Life teaches you much more than classrooms.
Thankfully, my love for books stood me in good stead during B School. I spent every free minute in the library, and although the net is a wonderful thing, there are some books that taught me much more ! Like "Man's Cry for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. Awesome book!

It taught me more than all those seven habit/chicken soup/cheese/fish books could ever have!

3 comments:

  1. Since completing my MBA, although I have not directly used my education in my profession [ I specialized in IT and Systems and am now the Creative Head at one of India's leading premedia companies ], I have slowly learnt that those two years we indeed useful. Very useful.

    I'm going to read Frankl's book, thanks for recommending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah ...i didnt even use my comp engg degree anywhr...on a serious note I was plannin 4 an mba this year....the essays had been written ,the gmat appointment fixed...even the 'tell us something about urslf perfected '..I felt it was all gonna pan out nice...just so happened the my work made me realize thrz a distance to go..b4 an mba..the places i've seen in heart of India day after day....I feel one has to achieve 'critical mass' in terms of intellect and wisdom b4 embarking on an mba journey...coz its more bout the kinda ppl u meet than the books u read...n i dont really regret sloggin for one more year..coz I m work in progree

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gautam,

    Just discovered Frankl thru your blog. Thank you.

    DD

    ReplyDelete