Mar 2, 2006

Should I move to wordpress?

I've had a wordpress blog for sometime now, although I haven't used it very well :-)

The reason was that I had invested too much into this blog to move over to another blogging service. Blogger's never given me too much grief. OK, some grief. And it's free.

But so is wordpress.

And it's more functional.

Today I discovered a lovely utility that allowed me to transfer all my blog posts from my blogger blogs to my wordpress blog.

The one reason I am not shifting to wordpress is my fear of losing my readership. If you visit this blog through a browser you have to save another URL instead of this. If you read it through bloglines (that's 148 of you) or some other feed reader then you need to update another RSS feed into your reader.

Will you do this?

Am I scared needlessly?

I remember Scoble writing once on his blogging manifesto to never ever change your URL, but he shifted to Wordpress too. So, should I really bother?

I know it's easy, but it's a change. Will you like it?

Here's my wordpress blog, this is the RSS feed. Come over, and tell me what you think.

5 comments:

  1. Gautam,

    not all bloglines readers might be active. They might have been active at some point (while subscribing) and then moved on. BTW, all blogger blogs have multiple feeds ....you have 27 more subscribers in these 2 feeds
    http://www.bloglines.com/preview?siteid=3709278
    http://www.bloglines.com/preview?siteid=2178952

    people are generally lazy in subscribing to the new feed and also lazy in changing their old bookmarks and blogrolls. hence there might be a temporary drop in traffic....but in the long run it should work to your benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GG:
    My experience moving to systematicHR has been relatively painless. Also from blogger, WP 2.0 now has an automated utility to move all your posts and comments right out of the box. IMHO, the move to my own domain name was a huge step. I have full confidence that from here on out, I can keep my readership even if I decide to change publishing engines later on.

    The readership thing has been troubling. My feedburner feeds were re-pointed, so that's not a problem. However, things like bloglines will never fully transfer. They are not real readers anyway if they haven't transferred to the new URL. Your own URL and host service will get you much better stats on what and who is reading, a huge plus IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be aware of the consequences from a search engine perspective. If you get a lot of traffic via search, you can probably expect that to fall off significantly with the switch. Additionally, beware of duplicate content penalties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried the idea,but wordpress won't give you too much customization option in the template.
    However if you feel strongly about it go ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  5. For your kind of blogging, you need to categorize, maybe even offer multiple blogging!

    Also I advice you to invest in your own web site.. Its time.. Why dont you choose a reliable ISP and actually get ur own web address? That way, you dont need to belly hop like this... and ur web stats wont get affected as they will now refer to ur permanent web address aka ur domain name!

    GG I can even make you a cool custom template. [Lets talk offline]! Meanwhile I have revamped http://chilligavva.blogspot.com Take a look and revert!

    ReplyDelete