Dec 15, 2006

Flexible or Freeze

David Maister asks:

Is it better to go for focus and constancy of purpose, or be open and flexible to new ideas as they emerge? Is it possible to have the best of both worlds?

I think some people have a talent for balancing the constant with the flexible. However the rest of us lurch from one extreme to the other. The luckier ones get to know what they are most comfortable with and choose that path, even while knowing that the other path might bring greater benefits some times.

Like David, I am a sucker for the new, the unexplored idea. Often, it takes me away from my focus. And I lose, in a manner of speaking. However, I also gain a lot, and for me that gain in knowledge is worth much more than cash sometimes.

What about you?

1 comment:

  1. I would rather try as many thinks and stick to the one which works!

    In the fast changing "flat" world, I think we need to constantly reinvent our self (or our entrepreneurial offerings/services)...

    ReplyDelete