Feb 22, 2007

Jobseekers can blog on Monsterindia

When I logged into my Monsterindia.com (which of course is a Monster Worldwide property) account I noticed a very interesting new flashing "blog" button.


Intrigued I clicked on it to see a screen that showed "welcome back Gautam, you have stored 0 blogs"

(Rant - Why can't people - that too online firms - understand the difference between a "blog" and a "post" - is beyond me !!)

Anyway, I posted one post from my archives on this blog and discovered it had to be under 5000 characters. Ok. Fair enough.

Then I tried to post this blog post, only to find a weird message saying "Abusive/Offensive content detected" and it wouldn't let me post. The most frustrating part of the thing was that it wouldn't tell me which part of the post it found abusive/offensive. Go ahead, take a look at the original post. Let me know if you have any idea.

So looks like Monsterindia.com is trying to become a MySpace for jobseekers. It has links called "hot blogs" and "recent posts" (thank god they got it right once). Most of the posts in the recent posts section are "I need xyz job, I have these certifications" type of posts. And the comments are more of the same.

Looks like blogs on Monsterindia.com would need to fight for an identity against the very raison d'etre of the site, if they have to grow and prosper :-)

My first post is here http://blog.monsterindia.com/myspace/gautamxl/1970.html

Very interesting... that they have a "myspace" in the URL. I wonder what that means? Joel, any ideas?

There is a RSS feed for recent posts, but not by individuals blogs, and that's too bad!

2 comments: