Feb 22, 2007

NDTVjobs.com blog

Was surprised to see a link from NDTVjobs.com's blogs (update: link does not work anymore so removed it) to this post of mine.


You know what is crappy on their blog and website?

To leave a comment one needs to register (!!) with them. (Maybe they should read Guy's blog if they don't already. Enforced registration, according to him, is the top most stupid and silly way to hinder adoption)

I guess building conversations is not the the purpose of the NDTVjobs.com site, but merely to get some free content up there.

While I don't grudge them that, it would have been better from their side if they had added their own perspective for their readers.

By merely copying my initial content and then linking, NDTVjobs is not adding any value to its readers. It's merely saying "we have no perspective on this". In fact, then they should merely state that they are aggregators of career and jobs related content and not a blog really. And if they want to do that, maybe going the Chimby way would be much better for them and their readers.

Update:
Paras informs me that the link says "page not found".

Heh.

Guess the folks in NDTVjobs didn't like the criticism too much :-))

Added: My first review of the NDTVjobs site and their blogs. The links to Careerjournal and ezinearticles, alas, remain.

10 comments:

  1. I would rather address this approach as more intelligent than silly. If it is the blog of users within the community of NDTVjobs.com so it is alright if they are asking to register to blog or comment. Otherwise as we all experience so many crapy comments / blogs around in open blog sites.

    This will at least give right, if not a lot of content to their community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well Anonymous, if that is the intent of NDTVjobs (and you speak like a true insider) why use the format of a blog at all.

    They can put static web pages. Provide links and ask people to register and comment.

    Why have the charade of a blog in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thats quite rational actually. I find good stuff to read & comment comment if I like to. I think logging-in to post a comment only increases credibility to the space and almost everyone prompts for that. Last week I saw blog on monster and found it to be full of company's singing their own tunes like 'about the company' details which is a huge crap. The fact ndtv is not hiding the source of the blog increases transparency.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abhishek,

    I agree that the Monster blog is crappy but at least they produce original content.

    What is NDTVjobs doing? Giving links without any perspective?

    Excuse me, but that is not something I expect from the journalistic traditions of NDTV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Logging in to post increases the credibility of a site?

    Abhishek, would you really comment if non-anonymous postings were allowed on this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gautam still I feel what you are saying is good for non vertical sites, I agree with Anonymous. If any site want to drive the content within the spectrum of relevance of their domain, it is intelligent.

    I have seen Naukri’s blog, companies are advertising themselves, this is not what any body want in blog.

    I will vote for NDTVjobs’ blog better than them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Gautam,

    Contrary to popular belief, there will not be any dearth of intelligent & fearless people who would still blog with their identities known and which would only increase the credibility & value of comments. I would surely be one of them. Infact, with the advent of so many blogsites, there should probably be some sites now that can have blog only from people who identify themselves. I think that will be a bigger revolution and the likes of ndtv, india tv, tehelka, etc. are just the right ones to start that.

    Tell me, would you not have a different outlook if you only knew who I really were rather than an unknown user commenting?

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Page Not FOund"

    This is what I show on that Page.
    Guess, NDTV has removed that content.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried to find out the link to your blog on NDTV page, but I guess,that they have removed it.

    One way, by which we could tackle such problems earlier, at my undergrad institute was by using http://www.webcitation.org . It maintains a web-cache of whatever links you want to maintain forever. It is much neat than maintaining capturing a screenshot of the text.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel anybody making comments .. should be part of the group... which is quite right.. and whats the harm in getting registered with Ndtvjobs.. we are quite optimistic about our careers .. So commenting after getting registered will surely adds value to the comment..

    ReplyDelete