Mar 27, 2007

Saying No

Knowing something intellectually and actually doing it are two different things.

When starting off on our own, I had anticipated that there would be a time when I would have to say no to a client. I thought I was ready for it. You know the whole routine of "You are as defined by what you don't do as by what you do" kind of thinking.

So when last week someone called from one of the world's largest IT firms if we could come and meet them in connection with a 2-3 hour game to conduct for their 80 developers in May, I realised that while it was do-able it was not something I wanted to be known for.

But I kept off trying to say no.

I reasoned and I justified to myself. "Oh I'll meet them and get to reframe their problem and make it a OD consulting intervention" was my dominant thought. "Even if I can't, I can always walk away and I would have made some connections in this large IT firm for future business development"

In my heart of hearts, I knew I was fooling myself. So today after a week of dithering I mailed the lady who had called me saying that the need does not fall in our expertise area and we would love to work with them in the future on OD and HR consulting needs.

Yes, knowing it and doing it is a totally different kettle of fish, I discovered again :-)

How do you say no to clients and customers ?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. I belive that being able to say no to our clients is one of the key elements of becoming a "trusted advisor". A client's needs are much more important that their wants. After all if you need a white van to do a job why would you buy a sports car?

    ReplyDelete