Mar 27, 2007

What do you look for in a job?

That's the question someone on campus asks Surya who was there for the B School placement season.

A chance to fatten my cv. Some call it getting exposure, but I connect it to the final outcome. I dont want to put anything on my cv which I cannot claim as mine or which I cannot speak about knowledgably, so that means grabbing opportunites and accepting them when offered.

So that if in the future I have to choose my personal life over my company - without zilch personal life, I dont see that happening anytime soon - I can pick and choose what I want to do and where I want to be.

I did not .ell him this:
Fun.
This is a no-brainer. If I am doing something ten hours a day, I better have fun doing that. This means being challenged, appreciated, ragged, teased - I guess a better word would be to feel alive.

Family. I think that more and more, I substitute my work colleagues for my friends and well wishers. Well, atleast a significant chunk of them anyway.


Fun, Family and Ownership, and an international placement. Phew ! Young people sure have big expectations from organizations and organizational life.

Maybe Surya is a fortunately lucky one. After all, how much can "fun" be built into organizational process. Certainly not "family". What can however be possible is for organizations to enable true and authentic human connections and conversations between employees. And hope they like each other :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment