May 24, 2007

Not getting a project

Today a client got back to me after some time, that I would not get a coaching project they had approached me (along with other consultants) to submit a proposal for.

It was a great opportunity as the project was of a global nature and the people to be coached are globally located and very senior executives.

I thought I'd just share my disappointment on this blog...as I am not feeling particularly insightful to say anything else.

Ah well... Looks like I have to wait till I really go global :-)

Well, failure is a huge mirror. It brings one face to face with one's own inadequacies and for a chap like me is not a very easy pill to swallow. Whenever I have faced failure in the past, I've taken it quite personally, as a statement on my personal capabilities, even if at the cognitive level I know that there are other factors apart from just me, that are affecting the results, like great and ,possibly better, competitors, lack of subject matter, previous experience in a related field etc.

I guess I'll take a couple of days to bounce back.

6 comments:

  1. Part of the deal my friend. Don't lose heart there will be many more where this comes from.

    Sanjay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats the spirit keep moving more new better opportunities are waiting for you/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say that's disappointing...but always the nature of the consulting business. We always want to win them all.

    My take after years in big firms and now several years building a mid-sized firm is: Never enter into competitive bidding. We just never do it. The odds are never right, the preparation time is too much, and the disappointment of not getting a project is no fun. So, I'd say all the really big and fruitful projects come from relationship selling and few from the competitive front.

    Still, I'm sorry you didn't get it. More good work ahead though, I'm sure.

    Cheers,

    Frank Roche
    http://www.knowhr.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, this is bound to happen at some point of time.. Can't win 'em all, I guess !

    I do agree on one point, though: the first, immediate reaction is to often take it personally and feel as if someone has cast doubts on your abilities, even though that is not the case.

    But eventually, good things always happen to good people, and maybe there are a few around the corner, waiting for you :)

    Keep up the good work !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will laugh at this post in a few years time....

    its gonna be fine , pal..

    ReplyDelete
  6. you'll actually laugh at it in a few week's time. :D
    something better is waiting round the corner. the experience has, of course, taught you something you can use down the line!!!
    btw, i am back in circulation....will hopefully catch up with all my fav blogs gradually...
    nimmy

    ReplyDelete