Jul 14, 2007

The Age of Self-Promotion

You might not realise this reading this blog, but I am quite a bit of an introvert. I find meeting people and interacting with them with any amount of engagement quite strenuous and it is something that drains my energy.

I don't know if that has something to do with it, but the reality is that I find the idea od self-promotion quite obnoxious. Today on Linkedin Answers I posted a question, and when someone mailed me that he found the question a "lead generation trap" I promptly took the question down, even though I didn't find any clause on linkedin that says that using answers for such a purpose is discouraged. It says in fact "if you are asking a question in order to recruit or advertise, or announcing your own job search, you must indicate that while creating the question with the checkboxes provided."

However, on a personal level, I could not even bear it that one person thought I came across as self promoting. Which is why I took the question down.

So when Tom Peters posts about Donald Trump here and here, and ask does "Excellence in 'Brand You' Development" trumps (pun intended I suppose ;-) skill?" I surely wish it does not. However, in today's age we always see that any kind of promotion makes even a mediocre skilled person do much better. Take the example of David Beckham in football (or soccer, if you are in the US). Sure, Beckham is talented, but the rewards he gets are not commensurate with his skills as a player alone. In fact more talented football players than him exist, but are not as famous as he is.

So is this age as unfair as the ages that preceded it? What is objective skill and talent?

Should I shamelessly self-promote myself or not? Oh don't bother answering. I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment