May 8, 2008
Setting Up a Competency Center
An email a reader sent me:
Let me introduce myself. I head the competency management center at xyz, inc.
I request you to share your knowledge on, setting up a Competency Center. I would want to work on the following this year
1. Setting up the state of art infrastructure.
2. Come out with a robust model for training of all employees in soft skills.
Pl do guide me on coming out with a good working plan.
for point 1. Setting up the state of art infrastructure: I would ask you to take the following into account:
Growth of the business
Kind of Competency Development needed
For point 2. [Come out with a robust model for training of all employees in soft skills.] I would suggest you to:
1. have a discussion with the heads of the business
2. come up with gaps between current competency and future needs of business
3. Analyse if it makes sense to build the competency or acquire it. For example if the organization is going for a strategic change in direction it might need to hire different kinds of people than trying to make the current people develop different skills/mindsets. Skills are easier to build. Mindsets are not
4. Decide on your delivery plan - classroom, e-learning, blended learning depending on how your people are distributed.
5. Link these development initiatives to actual work, by way of projects and give people's managers accountability for the success.
Hope that helps!
HR Issues Social Media Organization Development consulting career management business blogging recruiting strategy talent learning innovation leadership management Organizations 2.0 HR2.0 Knowledge Management Social Business networking training talent work skills employment branding Enterprise social software Human resources Social Networking india marketing Enterprise 2.0 business books Employment news Twitter future Business Online Communities communication Social network jobs Facebook personal branding HR professionals network Strategic management Interview Job Search LinkedIn Talent management Community Community Management Recruitment personal the imagence partners Competencies Employee engagement Social Enterprise collaboration Education and Training entrepreneurship salaries Social web Virtual community youth Employee Relations socialmedia lifestreaming coaching Human resource management Knowledge base Sexual harassment Trial and error satyam