Jun 5, 2008

No Shows for Interviews

As part of the HR services we deliver for a client, we also recruit people (note: we are not headhunters, but rather act as internal HR depts of organizations)

One of the things I have noticed recently is that when one of my consultants is trying to set up interviews with the hiring manager, if 10 people say they are interested in an opening, finally only 2 turn up for the interview, and the rest have to be followed up individually, and are usually not responsive to emails or phone calls.

Let me assure you these are not highly in demand talent like software developers that we are chasing, but plain graduates in the sales function.

So I am left asking myself: "Self, why don't people turn up for interviews when they confirm first? Or at least call up and inform that they thought about it and are no longer interested"

When you don't turn up for an interview what you are essentially saying is "I am not professional and I don't care if you know it."

Why do that?