Dec 28, 2008

Don't become the expert

Earlier somewhere on this blog (in a post that mysteriously vanished!) I asked people as part of a 8 step process for career success, to become an 'expert'.

However, the truth is expertise sits uneasily on my shoulders. I shudder when people describe me as any kind of expert. Even more than I shudder when someone (you know who you are!) describes me as a "Thought Leader".

This post is essentially a reminder to myself, as 2008 draws to a close to understand that the time of the expert is a fleeting one.

Most experts predicted the Indian Premier League to be a modest success.
Most experts probably didn't ever think in 2007 that the US could have a black president.
Most experts were betting on a burgeoning global economy and growing stock markets in India and elsewhere.
Most experts thought that a firm that is a century old won't vanish in 2008 and that Toyota would continue to make operating profits in all quarters and that an entire industry won't vanish.

Don't become an expert. Stay a student, prepared to unlearn and learn and relearn. That is the key to relevance.

P.S. Realised that my friend Gaurav had posted something similar :-)

5 comments:

  1. Expertise is a relative term. It is not the peak of a mountain.

    Expertise is accumulated in the journey to reach the peak. Learning is the tool to accumulate. One should keep learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been suffering writer's block! Great post; exactly what's been on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you the fact we should be prepared to unlearn, learn and relearn. I think that when speaking about expert you are making the assumption that expert equals perfection. These are two different things. Implied in the terms expert is ability, knowledge, sound judgement and most of all wisdom gained through training, education, profession and experience. When I became unemployed, I sought the advice of Ariane deBonvoison,TheFirst30Days of Change, gave me the exact opposite advice. She told me to become an expert. When you speak about the experts that failed...could it be that they became arrogant and filled pride. I think that is the issue. History has shown the truth of the principle Pride before the Fall...everyone can fall...even experts. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Expertise is co-related to skill, which needs to be refined, worked upon and tested from time to time. How much of an expert are we , depends on how one's skills are used in various situations.

    Peaks and Valley's are relative terms to define the state it is not a definable end.

    ReplyDelete