Apr 21, 2009

Want me to help in your job search?

I get a lot of emails, with vague subject lines - and all the recipients on bcc. These usually have a resume attached - and state along the lines of:

"I am xxx post graduate/graduate from yyy institution - I would be very obliged if I can get a job in your esteemed organization

Well here are some of the pointers that I'd like to give folks who are doing this:


  • If you are taking my email id off this blog and mailing me as part of a mass mailer campaign without any personalisation - without establishing any personal connect - whether you are a PR guy or a job hunter - I will delete your mail.
  • Not all HR consultants are executive search consultants/recruiters. I am part of a OD and Training consulting firm. Other HR consultants focus on compensation and related areas. Some HR consultants are Recruiters. Do your homework before you shoot off a mail.
  • The body of the email is the electronic version of your cover letter. Don't just state facts - show how you'll impact the performance of the place you are applying to. If I don't see that I am not going to forward your resume to friends of mine who might be looking out for people. Because every time I send a mail out to them I impact my own credibility. To take that decision your value has to be clear to me.

3 comments:

  1. Gautam
    a great topical post as usual.
    Sudhanshu

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about that. I send personalized e-mails to potential employers. 'Love your blog too. Will use key points in your blog and give you acknowledgements in my own blog when the appropriate topic comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gautam,
    I agree. You might be interested in my comments on same topic here: Make Me Care About You: http://headhunterssecretguide.blogspot.com/search?q=make+me+care

    ReplyDelete