May 3, 2011

How Qontext works as a Social Intranet

I thought it would be a great idea to show how we use social features in Qontext, for business to employee communication as well as employee to employee communication.

So when I log into my account this is what I see

At the very top are the places that shows new alerts meant for me (in this screen grab nothing for me, else that small icon would be red)

On the top are the stories spotlighted by the organization. These could be news items, information, quizzers, surveys or other media. Those are highlighted by the red rectangle in the picture above.

Under that in the blue rectangle is the quick posting area - where I can post a status updates (like Twitter - with 140 character), a message (like an email), a blog post, a wiki page (so that others can edit and add to it) One can also upload documents, presentations, videos, polls

When I post these I can specify that these are only to groups I am a part of (red rectangle on the left sidebar) or whether they are public or private to certain employees (who would get it as an alert when they login)


See the screen capture below for more


The green rectangle shows the activity feed (postings of the people I am following or in the groups I am a part of). And I can toggle to see public timeline (see postings by everyone who posts publicly)

I have almost given up using email (I use it only for external emails) and share information with my colleagues using the blogs/wikis/status messages/bookmarks

When my colleagues "like" my updates it gives my engagement a boost too :-)

Looking through the public timeline I am able to discover people who share my interests and have conversations with them. And because the "connections" I make are like twitter (one way, following people) there are no awkward conversations like "why didn't you accept my request to connect?" :-)

When I get alerts (which is when someone alerts me with a post, or when someone leaves a comment on my post) this is the screen I see.

What I like about this is that it reminds me of the user experience of MS Outlook and when you click on an item it opens like an email does in MS Outlook. Which makes it comfortable for people to use, as it reminds them of a familiar interface.

You can see more of the features here

Of course there are lots of more features in Qontext, like integration with business applications like HRMS, CRM, SCM and ERP systems

By the way, there's an app for the iPhone by Qontext too

This is how the how the phone screens look