Dec 5, 2012

Meeting blog readers in real life

It's been over a decade since I started this blog. I primarily meant it to be a chronicle of my thoughts as my career progressed and my points of view changed.

Somewhere along the line, people started discovering blogs and reading them. I remember sometime in 2006 when I was at a SHRM India meetup at Hyderabad I was shocked to find many people in a group of 30 people come up to me and say that they read my blog. Until that time I had assumed only other bloggers would be reading my blog.

I remember back going to a friend after that and saying that meeting people who read my blog is unnerving. "Why?" he had asked. "Because they know so much about my views and I don't know them at all. There's information asymmetry"

Yes, I am an introvert. I find it very difficult to meet people in a real life social setting and have conversations. I guess that is why I find it easier to connect with people on social media.

So last week it happened again. I was introduced to many people and quite a few exclaimed "Oh, I read your blog!" or "When I was home for three years, I kept myself in touch with HR through your blog"

It is surprising and gratifying to meet you and hear that this little blog on a corner of the internet has succeeded in getting your attention.

Attention is the least thing we have in our lives, and the fact that you choose to give me yours, I am thankful.

Thanks for reading, commenting, critiquing and helping me improve. This blog is not just mine. It is a shared space, and you by reading, curating, sharing it make it "our space".