At the designedLearning site Peter Block offers some insight about the 'new' economy.
- You will survive in the new economy as well as you survived in the old
economy, for the core values are the same, even though the tools are different.
- What is at risk in the new economy is the quality of our experience, both
individually and collectively.
- my sense of smell, touch and observation are being eliminated from the
marketplace and workplace. Place now occurs electronically.
- Coupled with the isolating effects of the technology, what the new economy
also symbolizes is our recommitment to a new level of materialism.
- What threatens my survival in the new economy is my romantic attachment to
its tools and the wealth that it promises.
- The new economy is just that…it may be somewhat new, but it is just an
economy. It is not a way of life, a replacement for life, a creator of life or
an answer of any magnitude. It is simply the advent of amazing tools applied to
mostly mundane problems.