Even though I wrote this post a long time ago, what I actually wanted to do was describe how to be an innovator. (I don't claim to be an innovator, but I have observed some at extreme close-up!)
So what do you have to do to be an innovator?
- Set yourself some 'almost-impossible' goals.
- Always be suspicious of 'conventional wisdom'
- Be unconventional. In your career. In your studies. In your learnings.
- Try to have an in-depth conversation with people who disagree with your points of view - without getting angry at them.
- Steer clear of dogmas and axioms.
- When struck with a creative idea, if it hits your gut then go with it.
- Learn when to diverge and the time to converge.
- Keep your eyes on the world around even as you hone your idea to perfection.
- Be open to cutting off your idea, if it is either late or before its time, without tying up your ego to it.
- Always have 6-7 mentors from different industries, people whose opinions you value. But always trust your instincts.