Apr 12, 2007

HR lack skills

HR staff 'lack skills' to become business partners

Mercer HR Consulting surveyed 300 senior European executives and discovered that HR staff are missing a lot of key skills, including business and financial understanding, the ability to manage projects, deploy technology and to improve customer service.

Philip Vernon, principal at Mercer, said: "Europe's HR executives tend to agree that HR is exhibiting broader business and operational management skills, but there's still a very strong emphasis on HR's traditional expertise.

As if we needed a research survey to find that out :-)

I am constantly surprised on meeting fellow HR professionals and discovering the shockingly low regard for broader business knowledge, specially sales and finance.

Well, that includes me too...my financial knowledge is pathetic :-)

2 comments:

  1. Gautam,

    is it because there is a lack of good blogs on the corporate finance . I am a finance person , who is a regular reader of your blog. The insights I gained predominantly from your blog , has helped to contribute substantially to the HR strategy of our company.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Manoj

    Thanks ! You made my day !

    I don't think it's because there is a lack of good blogs on corporate finance. I am sure if we were to search there might be some great blogs.

    ReplyDelete