May 9, 2007

Reasons Not to change a career

Penelope Trunk tells you not to change a career when:

You hate your boss
You want more prestige.
You want to meet new people
You want more meaning in life
You want more happiness


So when should you change your career? There's only one reason in my book (my yet unwritten book ;-) to change careers, when you have skills that you will utilise more and will earn you more in another career than your present career.

For example, I did my graduation in hotel management after school, thinking it would be great for someone like me who was people-oriented. This was self-diagnosis and in the early 1990s there was no real way for someone to get career counselling. At least, not in the small towns like Lucknow where I grew up. The other reason, of course, was that I was academically not bright enough to get into a good engineering or medical college.

So I did my bachelor's in Hotel Management from a place called WGSHA in the campus town of Manipal. After three years of studying hotel operations along with general management subjects- like Organizational Behaviour, Economics, Marketing - I graduated in 1994 and went for my first hotel job to a place called Aurangabad at a princely salary of Rs. 3000 per month. And you know what? I didn't like it.

So after 14 months I wandered into sales. I discovered I was great at opening sales but was lousy in closing it. So when I worked in Pharma Sales (in Agra of all places!) my sales figures spiked in the beginning and then died down.

That led me to realise that HR is probably what I should be doing. I observed the HR manager of my firm then (Eli Lilly) Mr. Sandeep Dayal, and I guess I role-modelled my career on him. Next thing you know, I quit my job, sat at home for 6 months and prepared for XAT.

I was finally a MBA in HR in 1999.

What if I had not found my calling in HR? A lot of people wander into careers because of external factors (family pressures, comparison with neighbours etc.) Some people don't realise that they belong somewhere else.

There are careers being made and unmade as we speak. If you focus on what you do well - then you will discover the right career for you.

7 comments:

  1. Dude! This is the best thing that you've ever written! Keep that inspiration going! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your version is much better than Penelope's. And this is a post that touches my heart.

    I wd like to see a post where you found the courage to be a consultant rather than be in a safe cushy job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gautam,

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences... I can relate it a lot...

    Cheers,

    Sandeep

    ReplyDelete
  4. buddy,

    u seem exactly like my brother, hotel management , then MPM from Simbi....now in HR...
    how does one reach a career he likes... in my case , its a case of eliminating the things i dont like , and then what remains is the one should like ( a la sherlock) ..
    so for now , i am in finance .. which i am ambivalent about..one thing i realise , i am not a detailed oriented person and started disliking numbers ( remeber the old song "I feel like a cowboy afraid of horses: )i may change after a couple of years...
    then what remains is HR ;)and marketing .....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been a regular reader of your blogs.I have sent an e-mail to you some time back, asking for some suggesions in the same topic, what this blog talks about.
    Could you please find some time out of your busy schedule to reply, I would be greatly thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "He is 38, and unemployed. He dropped out of college.
    He has been a cook, a salesman, a diplomatist and a farmer.
    He knows nothing about marketing and had never written
    any copy. He professes to be interested in advertising
    as a career (at the age of 38!) and is ready to
    go to work for $5,000 a year. "

    That was David Ogilvy, the father of advertising. Career shift at any age I guess, is worth the wait...if it means being passionate about what you do and going all out to get what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear gautam

    i myself went to WGSHA thinking that H.M would be a great career option,but unfortunately not only it did nt work out for me but that place raped my soul.

    after passing out i have decided to pursue my first mass comunication and have given all major j school exams.

    your post is really inspiring .
    god bless.

    ReplyDelete