Jul 3, 2007

Query from a recruiter

I got this from a mail, and while I sent an email with my ideas, I have to admit, I am really out of my depth (and breadth) here. So any of you have any suggestions for the writer of this email?

Let me introduce myself.My name is M and i am leading a small team
of it-recruiters in Bangalore in a consulting firm.I have read your
blog...and i must say...ur a huge closet of coveted information and
priceless tips!!

I have a small tip to ask of you...
For the longest time i have struggled with making my recruitment team
more efficient.Especially ones that work on portals.One of the issues
that i have been unable to find a good solution is for that of
"duplication" of resumes sent by our competitors to our corporate
clients. This really hurts our numbers. I have tried multiple things
including trying to increase the speed of my shortlisting process so
we can get the resume to my clients desk sooner.But it hasn't helped
much.If you have any insight on this matter it would be worth its
value in gold for me...:)

Would really appreciate any direction u can give me....

The only help I could provide was writing this mail back... but if you have better ideas (I am sure you will have!) then leave it as a comment for M here.

Sorry, I really don't know how you can increase that, except by getting resumes of people who haven't posted it on portals.

If your competitors are pulling out the resumes and submitting them without checking with the people, I think on the long term that will reflect well on you.

5 comments:

  1. I truely agree with Gautam on this. There are loads of consulting firms who send in resumes to corporate customers without even contacting / affirming interest. This is something which will not help the competing consulting firms. So do not worry, motivate your team and keep on the good work. This will surely help you guys in a long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear M, as a fellow recruiter, I can very well empathise with you. I think you need a multipronged approach to get out of the present situation:

    1.Change the way your recruiters are sourcing!! They need to look at 'not so active' and 'passive' jobseekers-rather than depending on the 'active' jobseekers who will anyway find their way to almost all openings you can think of!

    2.Review your client base.If they are using multiple recruiters -both inhouse and external, itsnt too difficult to understand why most resumes are duplicates!

    3.At the same time,try and think of adding value to both the candidates & clients who are presently being catered to.

    I have been in the similar boat-for 15yrs -and can vouch ever since Gautam Ghosh has introduced me to the world of blogging, I am learning to find my way out of the 'fastest finger game'and move into the 'consultant' mode. There is definitely light at the end of the tunnel :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    If its hard for you to beat comptt. by quantity and speed, beat it by delivering quality.
    Any client using the services of a recruiting firm would prefer that.
    Make sure that you constantly increase your database of resumes that are not available on job portals. This is specially true for people who qualify for senior positions in any organization.
    Check out resumes on job portals that have been inactive for more than a year...they may be looking for a change once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about developing one-on-one relationships with your best clients to work out a strategy where you can service them better with a bespoke solution?

    Cutting out this issue.

    Regards

    Martin Haworth
    http://www.coaching-businesses-to-success.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reffster is just about getting into the recruiting game ( today is our first day when www.reffster.com went live). I have just come back after meeting an MNC Bank. Let me tell you one of the points that was uppermost in their mind. They want Resumes from prospective candidates only AFTER the candidates agree to be 'available' for the position vacant. A cold Resume is a No No. So my friend, do not worry.Follow what Menon has commented --"adding value to both the candidates & clients who are presently being catered to" as being your best insurance policy.
    Ranjit Jatar
    CEO and co-founder
    www.reffster.com

    ReplyDelete