The word freelance has a mercenary ring to it. After all, it was derived from being a lance (spear) guy who was available to fight on your behalf. Sort of like, a "gun-for-hire"
So last week when my wife and I made one of the most momentous decisions of our lives so far, martial glory was the furthest thing from our minds.
Friends and family told us we were stupid.
- For me to leave a firm like this
- For us to say goodbye to fixed monthly salary like, er...OK, take my word for it...it was (is) good!
- To jump around from firm to firm to firm like this and then to chuck it all up and start our own firm !
So why are we doing it?
- Because this is the place we feel that our purpose, passions and gifts intersect.
- Simply because we feel that it's about time we listened to our hearts and our dreams
- What we actually want to work on, isn't available in larger organizations
- If we make excuses now, we will continue to make excuses even 10 years down the line
What do we want to do?
We believe that organizations and employees have a relationship that could be much more trusting and open and authentic. We would work with organizations who like to become such employers.
So what exactly will we be doing?
- Blogging, Social Software and related tools will be a major part of this new venture. For some hints check these posts out in the recent past.
- Focussing on helping small and medium businesses with HR systems, strategy and development of their HR function is a mission that close to both our hearts. There is a tremendous skill shortage in the mid-size organizations and HR audits, assessments, development and strategy facilitation is what we would like to bring to them.
- Related to the above point, Organizational structure, culture and services related to them would also be offered.
- Individual training programs would also be a major service offering. These would typically be focussed on internal HR skills development so would cover areas like Competency Based Interviewing, Facilitation and Coaching skills, Internal Client skills.
What are our point of views? Here are some samples
By the way, we are on the lookout for a name for our firm...got any ideas?