Nov 22, 2006

Notice period debates

There's a big debate that I missed as I was offline, on whether an employee is obliged to served the notice period.

Rashmi has her views here and Vulturo's is here.

My take is that yes current Indian systems are biased in favour of the employers.

As the balance of power continues to shift in favour of the employees, the rule for notice period will become more and more like the US where there is a 15 day notice period, and the employee is under NO obligation to serve it.

Of course, the employer is free to fire you without a day's notice too.

As the Indian workplace evolves and becomes segmented according to industry a lot of these useless rules will wither away and die.

Amen to that.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sir,

    Just read your veiws on the notice period debate that is a very real issue faced by all the people in the industry day in and day out. I personally also had a not so pleasent experience as an employee. My past company (one of the biggest and oldest HR firm's in the world) changed its notice period policy couple of months back, previously the notice period was 30 days (or one month of "basic" salary in lieu) to 90 days (or 3 months gross salary). This was there way of preventing attrition, but with the IT industry boomimg, it hardly had any affect on the employees coz now when negotiating with the next company they also convinced them for a buy-back of the notice period. So practically it was no botheration at all for people switching jobs. However, this became an issue for people who had to quit for other reasons (personal, higher studies..). Like in my case, when I had to leave for my PGDBA course I had to do away with more than a month of my gross salary, my entire leave balance and some extra amount that I had to pay from my pocket. And I am yet to understand the logic behind it.

    -Ashutosh

    ReplyDelete